The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence – Denis Waitley
It was early last year when my two daughters booked already their ticket for the yearly Youth for Christ (YFC) summer convention. This time, it will be held in Palawan together with other chapters near the area to meet and gather around.
This is also the first time that they will be traveling without the family like me or their father. Still I got those trust and confidence that they can make the one-week stay even I felt I was a bit worried.
Definitely, part of their praisefest was also to explore the place especially the tourist spots around.
But before that, how did we plan their summer camp?
Since family is always on-the-go for get-away every now and then, I personally prepare our travel stuffs.
What I did with kiddos was to give those responsibilities to them – fix their own to bring and give them a list.
Checklist for a first out-of-town trip:
- Light T-Shirt clothes, swimming attire, 1 Sweatshirts and Socks, towel
- Since food were already provided, still, I asked them to bring canned goods, noodles and bread in case it is not enough for them
- Bottled water
- Bedding like sleeping bag and ground pads
- Cellphone, load and power banks
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, powder, shampoo, soap
I also asked them to bring Pure N Fresh cologne and feminine wash which is a product of Unilab that is specifically catered for teens like them, thus making them cool to smell.
Colognes has this variant scents to choose from like Blush Berry, Tropical Splash and Tangerine Delight while the Feminine wash is more hygienic to use compared to soap.
Aside from those checklist, I also reminded them to:
- Always listen to the instruction of your leader in the trip. Never go alone and always be in group.
- Since they have fewer gadgets aside from the cellphone and camera, thus avoiding to be online in social media, take time to meet new friends.
- Participate in activities and enjoy it even this is your first time to do it.
- Lastly, get contacts on the last day to keep in touch even the convention is finish.
Actually, they were already back – safe and sound.
Did they enjoy it?
I snatched these pictures where friends they met tag them on the shots and reminiscing those memories together on the different places they went.
I cannot imagine they explore different beaches around, go to the market to buy treats or “pasalubong” and even had a buffet food eaten in a Filipino restaurant as they manage their budget.
After all, there is always a first time. It is our choice to make their first time especially with our kids if we plan their future well and make those fondest memories their cherish possession.